CIYMS 60 Academy 28 8th September 2012

CIYMS 60 Academy 28 8th September 2012

On an unusually warm day at Roughfort CIYMS 1st XV commenced their Qualifying League 1 campaign for 2012/13. CI fielded a strong team which incorporated several of their new recruits who joined the club over the summer.

CI set out their stall in the first play of the game with Matthew Armstrong chasing down the Academy out-half, allowing the pack to turn the ball over. Within 5 minutes of kick-off, working off a strong scrum inside their half, CI executed a textbook 8, 9, 14 move down the blindside with Andrew Balmforth finishing in the corner scoring his first try in his competitive debut for CIYMS. Long overdue Bam!

CI continued to exert pressure on Academy over the next 10 minutes with good work in the middle of the back line by both Joel Semple and John Castles and massive tackling from back row Mark McConkey. The phase work up the middle of the park was complemented by good support provided by the forwards. This pressure lead to two penalties being converted by outhalf David O’Hara.

Despite their initial dominance CI let Academy back into the game throughout the remainder of the first half. A succession of penalties for infringements at the ruck saw Academy convert 2 penalties to draw closer to CI. Nine minutes before half time the referee sent Ross Hackney to the sin bin for failing to stay on his feet at the ruck. The yellow card was down to the accumulation of previous penalties rather than for Ross’s particular infringement. Just before the end of the first half, CI scored a try from a well executed rolling maul employing classic “Dowlesque” up-the-jumper play with Stuart Ferguson touching down amidst a mass of tubbies taking CI 18-6 up.

CI started the second half much in the same vain as the first half. They increased their intensity and for 25 minutes they did not let Academy into the game. During this period CI scored eight tries with scrum half Michael Wilson getting a hat-trick and a brace from openside speedster Matthew Armstrong. The forwards also exerted their dominance by scoring two further close range tries from a rolling maul. The second of which was scored by Mark Scott who peeled off the side of the ruck to drive over from 5 metres. The continuity and intensity of CI’s game during this period was excellent with the forwards carrying the ball particularly well. Working off the quick phase ball CI’s back line scored further tries which effectively closed out the game with 15 minutes left to play.

Up to this point CI had managed to keep their own try line intact however in the last 15 minutes the team’s intensity and organisation in defence went missing. Academy scored 3 tries during the last period of the game leaving the final score as 60-28 to CI.

Overall for the first game of the season it was a good start with the win and the strong attacking performance. However there are areas of CI’s performance that will require improvement notably the defence around the ruck area and ensuring that they maintain their intensity for 80 minutes.

CI now move onto a home game against Cooke next Saturday kicking off at 2.30pm. A good crowd would be much appreciated for what is certain to be a hotly contested game. The coaching staff would like to thank the support that came to the Academy game.


Man of the Match- Michael “Wilesy” Wilson